Phillips Exeter Academy, located in Exeter, NH, is a highly selective coeducational independent school for boarding and day students in grades 9 through 12, and post-graduate level as well. Our 671-acre campus is comprised of academic and residential buildings, a library, playing fields and sprawling green lawns; retaining our 18th century New England charm.
Visit our website, www.exeter.edu, to learn more about us and to view the complete job description.
The Academy offers competitive salaries, and excellent benefits such as health, dental, 9 - 12% retirement contribution, life insurance, disability, vacation, free access to our athletic facilities, and free meals. In addition, discounts in and around Exeter, Exeter Inn and Epoch Restaurant, Homes for Heroes, and McFarland Ford to name a few.
The First Cook/Catering Chef is responsible for preparation of residential meals as well as catered productions, ensuring consistent and timely production, quality, quantity and presentation of hot and cold foods. In addition, directs kitchen staff in the absence of a supervisor.
Schedule: 32 weeks of the academic year, summers and other school breaks off. Must be able to work flexible hours including days, nights and weekends. Schedule may vary according to departmental and Academy needs.
This position is considered “Essential Personnel”, requiring the employee to report to or remain at work for emergencies and inclement weather events, if instructed to do so.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Culinary arts degree preferred, or equivalent experience/training in an institutional environment.
• ServSafe certification is required. Must be able to obtain certificate within 60 days (attend required class and pass test).
• Minimum 2 years’ demonstrated experience as a first cook in similar size operations with knowledge of quantity food production in accordance with current principles, practices, methods, and materials.
• Minimum 2 years’ catering experience in a similar position, preferably in an institutional environment.
• Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting is preferred.